We need you to call or email today for Colorado
Publication Date: 2017-03-28
Call your Colorado State House Representative today and ask them to vote No on SB17-184 to prevent marijuana vaping and smoking indoors.
Click here to get contact information for your House Representative.
When passed by the voters, Amendment 64 stated that marijuana consumption, including smoking, would not be conducted openly and publicly. Now SB184 would define “open and public” use of marijuana to allow for marijuana clubs which would include vaping and smoking indoors. If passed, it is possible that this bill would open up many new locations throughout the state in which both marijuana and tobacco could be smoked.
Email or call your State Representative TODAY! This bill has quickly passed the full Senate and House committees. Its second reading for the House will be either Thursday or Friday this week.
Sample Talking Points:
- We need to strengthen, not weaken our smokefree laws. Senate Bill 184 would take us backwards by expanding the number of places where people can smoke and expose more workers, residents, and visitors to the toxic and cancer causing chemicals in marijuana smoke and to the chemicals in the aerosol from electronic smoking devices.
- All workers, even those in small workplaces, have the right to breathe safe, smokefree and aerosol-free air. Secondhand smoke from marijuana has many of the same chemicals as tobacco smoke. The California EPA has identified 33 chemicals in secondhand marijuana smoke that can cause cancer.
- Secondhand marijuana smoke is NOT safe. Secondhand marijuana smoke exposure impairs blood vessel function. It has a greater and longer-lasting effect on blood vessel function than exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke.
- People who are exposed to secondhand marijuana smoke can have detectable levels of THC in their blood and urine.
- Currently, 204 municipalities and 10 states specifically restrict marijuana use in smokefree spaces in some manner. Protect workers and the public. Vote No on SB17-184.
- It is preposterous for the marijuana industry to insinuate that tourists won’t visit if there isn’t a club for users and tourists to smoke or vape marijuana. This is similar to the notion that clean indoor air laws would deter tourism. Just the opposite is true. Smokefree laws have been good for business and great for health.